MasterClass: SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery med Magi Naumova
The course goal is to dive into SQL Server Technologies and solutions that support and provide service and database availability, to understand, maintain and support them in real environments.
It is very important to know the way availability solutions work to design, implement, and maintain critical production systems and align to SLAs. Developing an overall understanding and familiarity of the basic features and different implementations is relatively simple. What is trickier to develop however, is an understanding of the mechanics (or internals) of Clustering, Availability Groups and Log Shipping and gaining experience of how to manage large scale and critical systems.
This training gives you the important aspects to gain a good understanding of how the Clustering, Log Shipping and Availability group technology works so that you can design, build, and manage a reliable availability solution.
Technical Level: 300+
The course covers all versions of SQL Server from 2016+ and later, including SQL Server 2022. The lab exercises will be on SQL Server 2019.
About the instructor - Magi Naumova
Margarita Naumova is a very well-known SQL Expert. Magi holds the highest possible SQL Server Technical Certification in the field – Microsoft Certified Master, making her one of the best SQL Server Experts Worldwide. Magi is also a Microsoft Data Platform MVP (Most Valuable Professional). She has more than 20 years of SQL Server and BI technologies consulting and training experience and is a trusted advisor for many large companies in SQL Server Platform Area.
Currently she works as a Managing Partner and Chief SQL Architect of Inspir-it AS, her own newly established Consulting Company in Norway. Margarita is a regular speaker at the largest IT events, SQLBits, SQL Saturday in Europe.
Read more about Magi at Microsoft MVP website
Private event training
We arrange this training for your company or departement upon request. Please contact us for dates and prices:
After the training completion attendees will be able to:
- Decide what type and which HA and DR technology to implement
- Understand how the specific availability solution work
- Implement a proper high availability solution or a combination of them
- Manage, maintain, operate, and troubleshoot Availability Group configuration
- Monitor and take actions to optimize the solution performance
Level 200 of Microsoft SQL Server Administration and Development. T-SQL and database programming knowledge is good to have.
Module 1: HA and DR concepts
- Putting measures and definition as availability solution requirements
- Defining SQL Server Availability terms
- SQL Server HA and DR Solutions overview
Module 2: Backups and Log Shipping
- Backup and restore process
- Log Shipping Concepts
- Configuring Log Shipping
Module 3: Providing Service level protection with SQL Server Failover Clustering
- How the FC works
- The Voting concept
- Installing SQL Server FC – important steps
- Maintaining SQL Server FC solution
Module 4: SQL Server Availability Groups
- Solution, design decisions, and possible architectures
- Configuration parameters and security
- Readable secondaries and Read Only Routing
Module 5: Operating an Availability Group Solution
- Solution Maintenance and support
- Monitoring Availability Group Solution
- Alerts and Notifications
Module 6: Combining HA and DR Technologies
- Important factors in combining HA and DR solutions
- HADR is the Cloud – options and possible configurations, SQL MI for a DR
The course modules consist of presentation for describing the respective concept and a demonstration. Some of the modules consist of practical exercises in order for the attendees to understand the concept better.