MasterClass: SQL Server High Availability and Disaster Recovery med Magi Naumova
The course goal is to dive into SQL Server Technologies and solutions that support and provide service and database availability, in order to understand and being able to design, maintain and support them in practical production environments.
It is very important to know the way both availability solutions work in order to design, implement and maintain critical production systems. Developing an overall understanding and familiarity of the basic features and different implementations is relatively simple. What is trickier to develop however, is an understanding of the mechanics (or internals) of Clustering, Availability Groups and Log Shipping and experience of how to manage large scale and critical systems.
This training gives you the important aspects to understand the Clustering, Log Shipping and Availability group technology in order to build and manage a reliable availability solution. It also describes the DB Mirroring, which is still useful to understand as a concept, in case you work with older version of SQL Server or to understand the foundation of Availability group solution.
Technical Level: 300+
About Magi Naumova
Margarita Naumova is a very well-known Bulgarian SQL Expert. Magi holds the highest possible SQL Server Technical Certification in the field – Microsoft Certified Master, making her one of the best SQL Server Experts Worldwide. Magi is also a Microsoft Data Platform MVP (Most Valueable Professional).
She has more than 10 years of SQL Server and BI technologies consulting and training experience gained in Bulgaria and abroad, and is a trusted advisor for major Bulgarian companies in SQL Server Platform Area.
Margarita is a leader and founder of Bulgarian SQL & BI User Group “Let’s SQL Together!” and is a regular presenter of the largest IT events in Bulgaria. Currently she works as a Managing Partner and Chief SQL Architect of Inspirit - her own newly established Consulting Company. She is a former and author of SQL Master Academy Training Program. Previously she was Seniour Consultant at Microsoft. She is also Microsoft Certified trainer with more than 12 years of training experience.
Read more about Magi at Microsoft MVP website
After the training completion attendees will be able to:
- Decide what type and which HA and DR technology to implement
- Understand how the specific availability solution work
- Implement a proper high availability solution or a combination of them
- Manage, maintain, operate and troubleshoot Availability Group configuration
- Monitor and take actions to optimize the solution performance
Level 200 of Microsoft SQL Server Administration and Development. T-SQL and database programming knowledge is good to have.
Module 1: HA and DR concepts
- Putting measures and definition to work as solution requirements
- Defining terms for your SQL Server Availability
- SQL Server HA and DR Solutions overview
Module 2: Log Shipping and DB Mirroring
- The way DB Mirroring works
- Mirroring types in details
- Configuration parameters and security
- Log Shipping Concepts
- Configuring Log Shipping
Module 3: Providing Service level protection with SQL Server Failover Clustering
- How the FC works
- The Voting concept
- Installing SQL Server FC – important steps
- Maintaining SQL Server FC solution
Module 4: SQL Server Availability Groups
- Solution, design decisions, and possible architectures
- Configuration parameters and security
- Readable secondaries and Read Only Routing
Module 5: Operating an Availability Group Solution
- Solution Maintenance and support
- Monitoring Availability Group Solution
- Alerts and Notifications
Module 6: Combining HA and DR Technologies
- Important factors in combining HA and DR solutions
The course modules consist of presentation for describing the respective concept and a demonstration. Some of the modules consist of practical exercises in order for the attendees to understand the concept better.
Other relevant courses